10 March 2011

University of Granada... Round 2


16:00: Wake up from my siesta to get ready for class.

16:10: Decide against wearing my *new* 5 euro boots to class when the weather forecast predicts a 70% chance of lluvia. Don't worry booties, you'll have your day yet.

16:15: Walk towards my bus stop--a different and more reliable one than the first time around.

16:25: Arrive at the stop; read the marquee which states the bus will arrive in 2 min! WOO!

16:30: On my way to class! DANG I'm early and so good at bus-taking now!!!

16:42: Arrive at la facultdad de psicologia. Climb up The Steps [I counted to 80-something last time I scaled them, but my heavy breathing and thus loss of concentration did not allow me to conclude with much confidence the actual number of steps.]

16:45 Hmm. Deciding between getting out of my comfort zone and trying to talk to students, or being anti-social and continuing an intense game of Super Jewel Quest on my phone...

16:46: The latter prevails.

16:56: Walk to class.

16:58 "La asignatura resumirĂ¡ el 11 de marzo. Conferencia obligatoria en la Aula Magna a las 17:30." ..REALLY???? No class, but a mandatory meeting instead, half an hour later.

17:00-17:15: Waste time. Go to the bathroom. Read flyers. 

17:15: Finally do something worthwhile: start a conversation with a student who's also waiting around for a class. She's super nice, from Uruguay, and has the same name as my sister Sofia :)

17:32: Say bye to my new acquaintance and head to class. YEP 2 minutes late because I'm a real Spaniard and don't show up to anything on time!!!

17:33: Arrive and realize I am still too early.

17:37 There are 8 students out of about 40 in this "mandatory" meeting.

17:39 Meeting begins. I have no idea what it's about or why it's mandatory.

17:40: I catch the words "segunda lengua"...second language. This meeting's purpose is to urge the students to learn a second language, namely, English...I need not be here...

17:41 I also catch the speaker say the meeting goes until 21:30. I quickly start brainstorming methods with which to escape. Whattodowhattodowhattodo...in Spanish classrooms it's deemed rude to leave for the bathroom or any reason really, and you're supposed to ask each time you do.

17:44 Conclude that I'm stuck for the next 4 hours. Might as well get something out of it. Take out a notebook and start writing down useful vocab the speaker uses.

18:05 SAVED. Coach calls so we can meet at 18:30 to finalize soccer logistics. I treat the phone call as a dire emergency, excuse myself from the room, and stride out of the facultad towards freedom.

Third time's a charm?

No comments:

Post a Comment